Safety Rules for the Classroom
Beginning in kindergarten, students should be taught to practice safety in the school and in the home environment, and begin to learn some general safety rules. Below are some general rules that are listed under specific headings, which represent the major areas of concern with regard to safety in the classroom, the school, and the home environment. The following list is not intended to be comprehensive, but rather is meant to provide a starting point from which you can promote safety in your classroom.
Prepare to Learn Safely
- Clear your workspace.
- Listen to directions.
- Think about what problems might happen and be prepared.
- Follow directions step-by-step.
- Do just one thing at a time.
- Keep your workspace clean and free of clutter.
- Do not drink or eat during science experiments.
- Clean up your workspace when you have completed an activity.
- Wear goggles and gloves during experiments when instructed to do so by your teacher.
Understand the Hazards
- Learn the meaning of safety signs.
- Do not touch any equipment or other materials in the classroom unless you are told to do so by your teacher.
- Keep your hands away from your face, eyes and mouth during experiments.
- Do not touch, taste or smell any substances unless you are instructed to do so by your teacher.
- Wash your hands before and after science experiments, before eating and after using the washroom.
Use of Equipment
- Ask the teacher for help if you do not understand how to use a piece of equipment.
- Be careful when using pointed or sharp instruments.
- Never handle broken glass.
- Tell the teacher about damaged equipment immediately.
- Be careful when using chairs or step stools.
If an Accident Happens
- Stay calm.
- Report all accidents immediately, no matter how small.
- If you receive a cut or scrape, tell the teacher immediately.
- If another student in your class is bleeding, avoid contact with his/her blood.
- If there is broken glass, stop where you are and tell the teacher. Let the teacher clean up the broken glass.
- Stay away from any accident if it does not involve you.
- Dress for the weather conditions.
- Follow the buddy system.
- Tell the adult in charge where you are going if you leave the group.
- Do not drink or eat plants/berries in the wild.
- Stay away from strange animals.